Monday, June 19, 2017

My Other Creations: Stay-cation Collage Using TCW'S Onion Skin Stencil

"Let's Take a Vacation" is this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme.  When I saw this theme, I had just returned from a week of rainy hard-core camping with teenagers and toddlers, so the only kind of vacation I wanted was to bar myself in my crafting room with some serenity and a good beverage.  That's why my project represents the peaceful side of vacationing (or stay-cationing as the case may be).


To create the muted watery tones in the background, I brushed a ton of water on a piece of Strathmore Mixed media paper, then sprayed Dylusions Ink Sprays on it and let it blend, then dabbed the sprayed sections with a paper towel to mute the colors a bit.  Then I put a stencil on top and sprayed more Dylusions ink spray through the stencil. Once all of that dried, I smeared some white acrylic paint on top of Washi and paper scraps.  I covered the Onion Skin stencil with black acrylic paint and pressed it onto my collage so that it worked like a stamp.  I added some other stamping and a tab shape that I punched out of patterned paper.

I gave the mug some oomph by adding some floral Washi and the word "Stay," which I typed out on my trusty Memory Keepers typewriter.


Here are the supplies I used which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

It is the time for vacation adventures, so I'm excited to see your projects!  Be sure to upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Andrea :-) It sounds like a stay-cation is just what you needed after such a hectic vacation! :-) the colours and whole design of this is gorgeous :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so sympathize with a rainy week of camping, a week at home would be bliss in comparison... I just love the look of the onion skin stencil and the colours you used in the background are so beautiful! Anne x

    PS. that typewriter is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, colorful, optimistic and crazy messed as always. Lovely! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sympathize with you on your vacation. Coming home to a nice comfortable space and plopping down with a book and hot chocolate can really be relaxing. Although right now, I'd skip the hot chocolate since we're going to be hitting 118 degrees here this week. Love your project and the amazing background you've created. As always, love your colors and design.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love how you decorated your mug! It's super cute and fits your style perfect!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a super looking project-and the theme and colors are so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds like exactly what I need - though at the moment I'm doing the opposite of a staycation... I'm working abroad! But in a few more weeks I can lock the door and play... In the meantime, this colourful, uplifting piece is a restorative in itself.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your vacation looks wonderful, Andrea! I am all for that! Beautiful colors and the soft washes look gorgeous mixed in with the bright dots! I can totally sympathize with rainy camping and toddlers - there is one place I will never return to in Maine because of that - rain, mud, mosquitoes...I ended up hiding out in the car with my kids. Camping is great when the weather is good! hugs, maura

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....the word "stay" screams to me! I absolutely love this project of yours and I can relate on so many levels.
    Thank you for sharing your awesome art every time - I find peace!
    xZoey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful project. Great colors and details.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you crafted through the aftermath! lol This is a beauty in a long line of beauties! Colors! Washi Tape! FAB coffee mug! What more could you ask for! I remember as a kid we had one of those wet camping adventures.....ew....not fun.....But at least you have a story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Artistic & beautiful--love the colors & how you made the background! Thank you so much for leaving me such an encouraging comment--made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty, Andrea! Love the picture and when you've had such a horrible vacation trip I can imagine you are happy to stay in. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've definitely captured my kind of vacation...peace and tranquility and all in a wonderful piece of art ~ this is just perfect Andrea and I adore the background and colours, just stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so generous in sharing your process Andrea. I seriously think a book publisher should headhunt your sweet talented self and offer you a book deal! I would pay bunches to sign up for a video class! (Can you put all your published articles into one book?!) Big hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for the theme!! I love the typewriter 'stay', and all the colours and dots and patterns. A week of rainy camping with teenagers and toddlers sounds like a real challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your take on the theme Andrea...my kind of staycation...tucked up with hot chocolate and a good book...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete