Saturday, November 9, 2013

Tutorials: Painted Washi Tag

Hello friends!  You know I love a good painted Washi project, so here's a tag I recently made featuring a fabulous stamp from Unity Stamp Co.


I started with a deliciously tall and sturdy tag from Prima and covered it with vertical strips of Washi tape, mostly Recollections brand (which you can purchase at Michaels).


Next I added some white Gesso and teal acrylic paint.


When my background was dry, it was just a matter of adding some stamped images (the white stamped polka dots are heat embossed) and a scrap of paper or two.  The central image is a "Be Free" birdcage from Unity Stamp Co. I also punched out some butterflies using a Martha Stewart punch and folded them for a bit of dimension.  I inked heavily around the edges with Tim Holtz's Walnut Stain and Black Soot distress inks.



Last but not least, my favorite finishing touch: picking the right ribbon, yarn, and lace for the top.  I buy fun-looking skeins of yarn as often as I can because it's a lot more economical than buying specialty "fiber packs" that only have a foot or two of each kind of ribbon.

Here is the finished product with yarns and ribbons attached!


Washi's such a great little product and I love the semi-translucent bit of oomph it adds to the background of any project.